Oppenheimer


 Nominated for: Picture, Lead Actor (Cillian Murphy), Supporting Actor (Robert Downey Jr.), Supporting Actress (Emily Blunt), Director (Christopher Nolan), Adapted Screenplay, Original Score, Sound, Cinematography, Production Design, Editing, Makeup and Hairstyling, Costume Design

IMDB Summary: The story of American scientist J. Robert Oppenheimer and his role in the development of the atomic bomb.

I may be biased here, but I think this is the movie of the year. Full Disclosure - this is my third viewing of this film, so many of the features of this film that I'm going to gush over are because I've seen it multiple times. There is SO MUCH going on in this film - the storyline is like an onion that has many layers to peel away, to only work its way back out to come full circle with the plot of the story. This a three hour movie that does not stop for a breath - it's scene after scene with weighted moments and dialog that is sharp and quick with meaningful information that, if you blink or cough, you will miss. On my first viewing, I was along for the ride just trying to take in everything that was happening on screen. And get through the who's who of Hollywood casting. On my second viewing, I was able to put the puzzle pieces of the story together and begin to understand how the scenes connected and how the characters moved in and out of the story. On this third viewing, I was able to pick up on the underlying components of the film that catapult it into the elite group of well made films. Let me elaborate on a few of those items...

The first thing I noticed was the sound. Now, I was impressed by this feature (and not at all surprised it was nominated in this category) the first and second time I saw it in the theater. I had a slight worry that watching it at home might not elicit the same awe as the surround sound of the cinema. Within the first 2 minutes of the film, that worry evaporated. The sound in this film is just as impressive at home as it was in the theater. It's one thing to know when the big moments of sound are about to happen, it's a whole new ballgame when you think you're prepared for them and are still knocked back by the magnificence and detail when they occur. Which leads me to my next point...

The score of this movie is a powerful driving force behind its impressiveness. It enhances the visuals and feelings of each scene so masterfully. The musical score beautifully soars when the scientists are dreaming about stars, and then feels circular and spinning during the atomic illustrations. And the tension, oh the tension is so uncomfortably thrilling. I have seen the bomb preparation and arrival at the Trinity test site three times, and all three times those moments have stolen my very breath. The gravity of the drama on screen mixed with this unsettling yet magnificent score is heart-stopping. It's so, so good. 

Speaking of visuals, the cinematography is phenomenal, which is expected from a Christopher Nolan movie. Obviously, the explosion scenes are terribly spectacular to watch, but the way that he uses the camera to span large landscapes and hone in on tight moments is pretty genius. Also, the use of black and white vs. technicolor further illustrates the stark contrast in viewpoints between politics and science. For the politicians, there are two outcomes: do or don't do (black or white). For the scientists, there are endless possibilities and multiple variables that impact the end result (full color spectrum).  Speaking of Nolan, he wrote and directed this film, and other than the quick pace of the film, he excels in all aspects of the film. Despite being 3 hours, the film moves really fast, which doesn't give the viewer a lot of time to really soak in all of the thought and details in this picture. This is my harshest critique of the movie, because there is a lot of really great things happening in every minute. 

I haven't even touched on the acting, but I do agree that the three who are nominated are well deserving of said nominations. Murphy and Downey Jr. have this fascinated push-pull relationship - it's like they are playing a chess match with each other, continuously trying to outsmart and outmaneuver the other. One might think the actual making of the bomb is the underlying current of energy driving this plot, but it's the tumultuous relationship between these two. It was confusing to understand at first, but I promise, it is really stunning to watch these two upon subsequent viewings. Emily Blunt - I love her in almost everything she has done. Her role could definitely have faded into the background and in some scenes, that is her purpose. But the few scenes she does have control over, she dominates. Without giving away too much, her examination during the security hearing is *chef's kiss.*

One could watch this film and take something new from each viewing. There's a feast of components to explore. It also raises really interesting questions about science, politics, and morals. Great science can have great results and further our understanding of the world. But, at what cost? The politicians in this film often act from a position of power and dominance - but is there some value to their position? In this web of a plot, everyone is morally grey - and there are some really interesting arguments that can be made from both sides of the coin. 

I could go on and on about so many other remarkable moments of this film, but this is already longer than my normal post. I fully expect this film to take home multiple awards, and it has my vote for best picture because of all of the film components that it does so well. Much like the script, there are many layers of exceptional filmmaking that put this film in a league of it's own from the other nominees (that I've seen anyway). I had almost an entire page of notes on things I wanted to highlight within the first 30 minutes of the film. My final thought when the credits started rolling was "this movie is SO GOOD." This has also been the easiest post to write because there is a plethora of elements to appreciate. 

Available to rent on Amazon Prime. 

Comments

Popular Posts