Killers of the Flower Moon


 Nominated for: Best Picture, Lead Actress (Lily Gladstone), Supporting Actor (Robert De Niro), Director (Martin Scorsese), Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Costume Design, Original Score, Original Song (Wahzhazhe - A Song for My People)

IMDB Summary: When oil is discovered in 1920s Oklahoma under Osage Nation land, the Osage people are murdered one by one - until the FBI steps in to unravel the mystery. 

I am so excited to have made it through the last of the 3+ hour movies, because my attention waivered through this one. I planned this movie on my day off, but maybe I shouldn't have watched it on the heels of Oppenheimer. This film is 3.5 hours long, a marathon watch that really pushes the limits of the length of time one can handle in a single sitting. Honestly, this story could have filled more time and maybe a miniseries would have been a better avenue to capture all of the dynamics of this story. That's my biggest complaint with this picture - after 3.5 hours, I'm not sure I really understand some major plot points of this story. 

This film is based off of a book of the same name, which focuses on how the FBI got its real start through the investigations of the Osage murders. I haven't read this book, but that storyline is not focus of this film. Martin Scorsese, who directed and co-wrote the screenplay, chooses to focus on the murders of the Osage people themselves, and the white men who infiltrated the community and orchestrated the killings. It's not a bad turn of attention; seeing the brutality of this racism on screen gives weight and depth to why these events caught the attention of investigators at the federal level. But, I'm not sure this portrayal of the story established this investigation as the stimulus of the FBI. Whether or not that was the intent, don't go into this film expecting a spotlight on the FBI. 

It is interesting that this is the only best picture nominee that is not nominated in the best screenplay category, adapted or original. To be honest, I can't argue against its exclusion. For me, the story was choppy and often jumped quickly between story events without much of a transition. There is so much story here, and at times it feels like the film is an all-you-can-eat buffet that chooses to stuff the audience to an uncomfortable degree. I'll go back to my miniseries comment - if the choice to is to spend significant amounts of time describe the planning, setup, and execution of multiple murders, then we can't gloss over the investigation and unraveling of said plan and expect it to hold the same amount of gravitas. And, after 3.5 hours, I'm mentally and physically done with the movie. I had this same feeling through Scorsese's last 3+ hour nominee "The Irishman," which again seemed more like a marathon movie to endure. He has so much content to throw into his screenplays, that it is more of a detriment rather than an compliment. 

I also wanted more on the Osage people themselves. At the start of the film, we see that this tribe has oil on their land and they became incredibly wealthy because of that. What we don't get to see is how they discovered the oil and it's value. There is a quick slideshow of pictures depicting the Osage and their wealth status, but everything stays very surface level. Another plot point that is mentioned but not well explained is how full-blooded Osage people were deemed "incompetent" when it came to withdrawing and using their money. In order to use a dime of their own money, they had to work through a sponsor and request a specific amount and its intended purpose. Expenses could be critiqued and denied by the sponsor, who was typically a white banker, for apparently any reason. I wish this film expanded more on how this practice came to be, because it seems like such a major component of the discrimination on this community. 

I did really love the costuming in this film. I'll admit, I was confused as to why this film was nominated at first, but when the Osage people came out in their full spectrum of garments, I was impressed. There is such detail and variety in the outfits, depending on when and where they are worn. The wedding scene alone added such a rich display of clothing, more time could have to this part just to appreciate the wardrobe. I also though the music had an interesting mix of what I assume is traditional tribal music components into a modern movie score, which helped set the scene and added emotional undertones to the ebb and flow of the story. 

From an acting standpoint, Lily Gladstone was brilliant. Unlike the other nominees in the lead actress category, her character is calm and stoic. She doesn't loudly demand your attention, but that doesn't mean the audience isn't immediately drawn to her. She's got this steady presence that doesn't falter, even as her entire world collapses around her. Many of her scenes are paired with Leonardo DiCaprio, who plays her dim-witted, scheming husband. While he wildly gesticulates and overly performs his character, she matches his energy through her reserved demeanor and subtle facial expressions. Her character is not blessed with big speeches or loads of dialog, so her nomination is a true credit to the intentional visual acting she's emitting. 

Robert De Niro - this character is the literal worst. One minute he's the generous town benefactor, providing large donations to further the community and fierce friend to the Osage people. The next, he's a kingpin leading his white supremist cronies to one by one eliminate wealthy Osage and claim their land rights as his own. The way he seamlessly transitions from the kind old grandpa to the scary mob boss with limitless power in a blink of an eye is frightening. It is superbly fascinating to watch. It's De Niro, would you expect anything less?

Overall, this movie was ok. I really, really wanted to love it because I enjoy history and didn't know much about this horrible chapter in our American story. I think there are parts where it just tries to hard and places where it doesn't try hard enough. I don't mind long movies, as long as I'm mentally engaged. Maybe I wasn't in the best mental state to watch it, or maybe the brutality and quantity of the murders was just too much. Either way, I left this film with things I liked, things I didn't, and couch cushions to shakeout.

Streaming on AppleTV+. 

Comments

Popular Posts